Top 10 things I learned from The Neverending Story:
1. It is always dark in the beginning.
2. Everyone is different, and everyone is valuable.
3. If you refuse to give up, your luck dragon will find you.
4. “It has to hurt if it’s to heal.”
5. “Kind people find that they are really cruel. Brave [people] discover they are really cowards. Confronted with their true selves, most [people] run away screaming.”
6. Even the strongest of us can’t keep our friends safe forever.
7. The absence of hope is destructive.
8. Feeling lonely doesn’t mean you’re alone.
9. No one gets to just be a spectator.
10. The correct answer to “How many wishes do I get?” is always “As many as you want.”
Check out the column for commentary and a recipe.